Children’s Gardening Workshops – The Children’s Gardens located within the larger Strasburg Community Garden and at Seven Bends State Park, are learning spaces where children can join gardening workshops to learn the joy of growing! We hold workshops for kids on Saturdays from April through October on topics including pollinators, insects, birds, and other garden-related topics. Registration is required and limited to 10 children. Email email@example.com to register. The following workshops are planned for 2022:
- 7/30: Insects in the Garden / Insect Safari (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 8/6: Insects in the Garden / Insect Safari (Seven Bends)
- 8/13: Using our Five Senses in the Garden (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 8/20: Using our Five Senses in the Garden (Seven Bends)
- 8/27: Leaf and Flower Prints (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 9/3: Leaf and Flower Prints (Seven Bends)
- 9/10: Make a Terrarium (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 9/17: Make a Terrarium (Seven Bends)
- 9/24: Nature Weaving (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 10/1: Nature Weaving (Seven Bends)
- 10/8: Make a Bird Feeder (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 10/15: Make a Bird Feeder (Seven Bends)
- 10/22: Seed Saving: Collecting Seeds from Your Garden Plants (Strasburg Community Garden)
- 10/29: Seed Saving: Collecting Seeds from Your Garden Plants (Seven Bends)
Edinburg Mill Biofiltration Garden – Friends of the North Fork, working with multiple partners, have helped create one of the largest storm water bio filtration projects in the Shenandoah Valley. This rain garden is next to the restored Edinburg Mill where it helps halt erosion and filter polluted runoff between the parking area and Stony Creek. The rain garden serves as a teaching/learning venue for local and regional water issues. Extension Master Gardeners work with the Mill to create interactive signage and informational displays for the public.
Farmers Markets – Our members regularly staff a plant clinic and information pamphlet display in two of the county’s farmers markets during the growing season: the South Street Barn Market (4th Saturday of the month, May through September) and the Strasburg Farmers Market (every Saturday in April and May then every other Saturday June through October).
New Market Demo Rain Garden – Extension Master Gardeners educate the public on the rain gardens located at the New Market Library. Created in 2011 in collaboration with Rutgers University, the gardens filter the parking lot rainwater runoff in the area behind the New Market Government Building and on the library grounds.
Seven Bends State Park – Extension Master Gardeners have two projects at this new state park in Woodstock. We have installed a sensory teaching garden for children located that the Hollingsworth entrance and we are advising the Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River in the design and establishment of a riparian buffer along the riverbank from the Lupton bridge to the swinging pedestrian bridge.
Shenandoah County Fair – Extension Master Gardeners register adult and youth horticulture entries for competition judging at this annual event. In addition, they staff an information booth throughout the week to help homeowner with questions and to share information about the VCE Master Gardener program.
To learn more about the projects that take place in Shenandoah County or to get help with your home gardening questions, contact us at:
- Phone: 540-459-6140
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Help Desk Hours: First and third Fridays of each month, April through October, 9 a.m. –Noon; First Fridays in November and December, 9 a.m.–Noon
- Location: VCE Office and Classroom, Shenandoah County Government Center, 600 North Main Street, Suite 100, Woodstock, VA 22664