The Northern Shenandoah Valley Master Gardener Association supports its members — Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) Master Gardeners serving the counties of Clarke, Frederick, Page, Shenandoah, and Warren. The Association leads and financially supports projects, sponsors VCE home-gardening education events, coordinates each year’s Master Gardener class, and provides its members with unique continuing-ed and fellowship opportunities. Annual dues are $20 and open to all certified Extension Master Gardener Volunteers in the Northern Shenandoah Valley unit.
What is an Extension Master Gardener?
Virginia Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners are educators who volunteer within their communities to encourage and promote environmentally sound horticulture practices through sustainable landscape management, education, and training. Extension Master Gardeners are required to continue their education each year to stay up to date on current issues and recommendations for home gardeners. As an educational program of VCE, Extension Master Gardeners bring the resources of Virginia’s land-grant universities, Virginia Tech and Virginia State University, to the people of the commonwealth.
Ask a Master Gardener
If you have any type of gardening question, volunteers at our Extension “Ask a Master Gardener” Help Desks will research your problem and provide unbiased, research-based solutions. We can answer questions about trees, shrubs, house plants, perennials, annuals, and more! E-mail a description and photos of your gardening problems to your county, or stop by during our office hours in Frederick, Shenandoah, and Warren Counties. Our Page and Clarke “Ask a Master Gardener” Help Desks operate virtually, and Extension Master Gardeners do not hold in-person office hours. During the growing season visit our booths at area plant clinics and farmers markets as well.
- Clarke County
- Drop-off location and hours: VCE Office, 524 Westwood Rd., Berryville, VA; Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
- E-mail: ClarkeCountyAskAMG@gmail.com
- Phone: 540-955-5164
- Clarke County Farmers Market: The second Saturday of each month, June–October, 8 a.m.–Noon.
- Frederick County
- Location: VCE Office, 107 North Kent Street, Winchester, VA
- Help Desk Hours: Every Wednesday, 10 a.m.–Noon
- E-mail: GreenHelpLine.FrederickCo@gmail.com
- Phone: 540-665-5699
- Winchester Farmers Market: Third Saturday of each month, April–October, 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Page County
- Drop-off location and hours: VCE Office, 215 W. Main St., Suite C, Stanley, VA; Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 540-778-5794
- Plant Clinic at Massanutten Country Corner: Second and Fourth Saturdays of each month, April–October, 10 a.m.–Noon
- Shenandoah County
- Location: VCE Office and Classroom, Shenandoah County Government Center, 600 N. Main St., Suite 100, Woodstock, VA
- Help Desk Hours: First and third Fridays of each month, April through October, 9 a.m. –Noon; First Fridays in November and December, 9 a.m.–Noon
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 540-459-6140
- South Street Barn Farmers Market: Fourth Saturdays of each month, May–September, 8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- Strasburg Farmers Market: First and last Saturdays of the month, April–October, 8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- Location: VCE Office, Warren County Government Center, 220 N. Commerce Ave., Suite 500, Front Royal, VA
- Help Desk Hours: Every Monday (except holidays), April through September, 10 a.m. –1 p.m.
- E-mail: GreenHelpLine.WarrenCo@gmail.com
- Phone: 540-635-4549
How to Participate
If you’d like to help others while serving your community as a VCE Master Gardener, see when the next class starts on our join page. If you’d like to help without becoming a member, you can join us at our educational events, support our scholarship fund by attending our Gardening Symposium or pick up some plants and gifts at our GardenFest & Master Gardener Plant Sale.
You can also help while you shop! Click Brent and Becky’s Bulbs Blooming Bucks Program and donate a portion of your purchase amount to registered nonprofit organizations at no additional cost to you. Choose Northern Shenandoah Valley Master Gardener Association.
If you have questions about any programs, please email us at NSVMGAnews@gmail.com.